The A-Z of Print and Design – Part 3

It’s time to finish off our A-Z list of all things print and design – join us as we now reveal letters Q – Z!

Q is for… Quire

This may be an unusual term you may not have heard of before. Quire refers to a stack of 24 or 25 sheets of paper. Whilst oddly specific, it can also mean a group of pages that have been gathered together before being put through the binding process. It’s unlikely that you’ll hear the term used in modern times, but an interesting term to remember nonetheless!

R is for… RGB

Here’s one you’ve more than likely come across before. RGB is the abbreviation for Red, Green and Blue – the three primary colours which are used in additive colour mixing. This is also the colour mixture that televisions, monitors and most other digital screens use to create images.

Did you know?

We can’t print using this colour compound. Instead we use the colour formula of CMYB (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black).

S is for… Screen Printing

We’ve covered the Screen Printing process before here on FMS Blog, but for those who need a quick recap, here it is. Screen Printing is a simple and fairly inexpensive printing technique for low volume printing. It is regularly used to create graphics on clothing and other fabric surfaces. It’s also common to see some signage and billboards produced using this printing method.

T is for… Toner

Regularly used in larger printers, Toner is the powder or liquidised ink which is used in laser printers. It’s also used regularly in a lot of digital printing presses and is ideal for larger print jobs. Commonly, Toner and Toner based printers are used in medium to larger workplaces.

Did you know?

Toner has a very low melting temperature point. You could melt toner particles just with warm bare hands and even with warm water!

U is for… UV Ink

The abbreviation for UltraViolet Ink, UV Ink is a special ink that dries quickly using ultraviolet light. As a result, these inks can be quite aggressive and can shorten the lifespan of most printing plates, so it’s often used quite sparingly.

V is for… Vexel

A Vexel is a raster or pixel-based image that attempts to imitate the look of most vector based art. This type of design technique is used to try and create realistic looking images that have a more artificial or sharpened feel to them.

Did you know?

The term Vexel comes from a combination of ‘vector’ and ‘pixel’ – two other image based terms that help to best describe this design technique.

W is for… White Balance

White Balance is the term used for helping to balance a colour scale when attempting to scan or edit a pre-existing image. In photography, the White Balance will regularly need to be adjusted in order for photos to contain accurate colours. In digital design, White Balance is required to even out colours and avoid an image looking too bright or dull.

X is for… Xerography

Another process we’ve covered on the FMS Blog but still an extremely important one, Xerography is the term more commonly known as photocopying. The process involves an image being formed using electrostatic charge principles and is a popular printing method amongst page printers.

Did you know?

The inventor of Xerography was Chester Carlson, an American Physicist and Inventor born in Seattle, Washington. His process went on to inspire the name of the imaging giant Xerox!

Y is for… Yield

Or to be more specific, ink yield. Yield refers to the amount of force needed to start ink flowing and the amount of ink required to produce print outs. Page yield values are often found on the packaging of Ink Cartridges.

Z is for… Z-Fold

A Z-Fold is the term used describe the binding technique of a page that can fold out like an accordion. It can also be sometimes referred to as an accordion fold. Most leaflets and maps will use this type of binding technique.


So that concludes our A-Z list of Print and Design!

Did we miss any important terms? Let us know!

Sam Rose